A Guide in Catechetical Instruction
Lesson 1: The Knowledge of God
- What is above all things precious?
The knowledge of the true God through Jesus Christ Whom He has sent. Matt. 13:44-46.
- Why is this knowledge so important?
To know God through Jesus Christ is to have eternal life. John 17:3.
- How can we know God?
Only through His own revelation to us in all creation and in His written word. Belgic Confession, Article 2.
- Does God make Himself known to the wicked?
Yes, God shows through creation, that He is god and that He must be served, so that the wicked may be without excuse. Romans 1:20.
- Is there anything else which God makes known to the wicked?
God testifies in the conscience of each man concerning what is right and wrong. Rom. 2:14-15.
- Can this testimony of God lead to salvation?
No, for through this the wrath of God is revealed from heaven upon all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men. Romans 1:18.
- How does God reveal Himself to His people?
Through the Holy Scriptures which reveal to us Christ in Whom alone is salvation. II Timothy 3:16-17.
- Does then God reveal Himself to His people through creation?
Yes, for in the light of Scripture we see that the heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament His handiwork. Psalm 19:1.
- How else does God make Himself known in time?
God makes Himself known through history.
- Can we acquire this knowledge of God by our own efforts?
No, the Holy Spirit must make these truths known to us through the work in our hearts. I Corinthians 2:10.
- Look up the following passages and list what creation reveals concerning God: Psalm 19:1-2; Psalm 8:1; Romans 1:20.
- Look up the following passages and explain how creation reveals Christ: Isaiah 53:7; Song of Solomon 2:1; Malachi 4:2.
- Read carefully the Belgic Confession, Article 2 and write what this article says about God’s revelation.
- Read carefully Romans 1:18-25 and answer the following questions:
- Does God show His favor to all men by His revelation in creation as common grace teaches?
- What do the wicked do with God’s revelation in creation?
- How does God punish this wickedness?
- Look up Psalm 14:1. Does this text teach that some men are Atheists? Explain your answer.